The Weather in Belize
High on the list of Belize’s many charms is a very comfortable tropical climate with an average yearly temperature of 84° F (29°C).
Costal sea breezes and Belize’s large tracts of jungle and rainforests provide cooling relief even in the hottest summer months while winters can be cool but never very cold. In short, the climate is pretty much near perfect. Even in winter the temperature in Belize rarely falls below 60°F (16°C), while throughout summer the mercury sits at around 86°F (30°C). Humidity is also fairly consistent at around 85 percent.
With temperatures so consistent year round, Belize has two, rather than four seasons– the wet and the dry.
Belize’s dry season, falling between February and May, has significantly lower rainfall than the rest of the year, and when rain does come it is usually in mild, short bursts.
June through December marks Belize’s wet season, when parts of the country receive up to 150 inches of rain and the heavy, sometimes wild storms associated with the Caribbean occur, usually in the late afternoons.
The most frequent rainfall usually occurs in June or early July and is punctuated by a break in late July or August known as the "little dry."
The wet is also hurricane season, and while statistically Belize does not attract many major direct hits, it does get its share of severe tropical weather with high winds and rain.
However, Belize and its neighbours share a cooperative early warning network, and the country’s safety, evacuation and other procedures have proven to be effective.
Both the wet and dry seasons have their own pros and cons for travellers, but due to the overall mild nature of Belize’s climate, visitors can enjoy the country year round.
To assist in planning your visit here is a brief weather calendar. As with anything involving the weather it will not be 100% accurate for any given year, but it does provide a snapshot of our Belize weather.
Belize Weather by Month:
Weather in January
January in Belize features mild temperatures and varying amounts of rainfall. This is the beginning of the dry season - not too dry and not yet wet, and is a very popular month for visitors both inland and on the coast.
January temperatures in Belize range from an average monthly low of 70°F (21°C) to a high of 80°F (27°C).
Weather in February
Now we’re moving into the dry season, and February temperatures in Belize average between 70°F (21°C) and 80°F (27°C).
Days are generally mild, and with the cooler nights it is a very pleasant time of year.
Weather in March
March weather in Belize is as pleasant as February’s. Right in the middle of the dry season, the day and nights are clear and uninterrupted by rain.
Belize temperatures for March fall between 83°F (28°C) during the day and 74°F (23°C) at night.
Weather in April
April in Belize brings rising temperatures and the welcome “Iguana Rains”, the brief, cooling showers appearing up and down along the coast.
Expect average highs of 85°F (29°C) and lows of 76°F (24°C) with an overall monthly average of about 80°F (27°C).
Weather in May
May temperatures in Belize climb to an average high of 87°F (31°C) and fall to around 79°F (26°C), with an overall monthly average of 82°F (28°C).
If there is rain, it will most likely be in the morning, with the occasional thunderstorm at night.
Weather in June
This is another warm month, with June temperatures in Belize averaging 86°F (30°C) to 82°F (28°C).
However, fresh easterly breezes off the Caribbean Sea and more frequent short afternoon showers moderate the temperatures and make June a generally pleasant month.
Weather in July
July temperatures in Belize range from an average high of 86°F (30°C) to lows of 79°F (26°C) with an overall monthly average of 82°F (28°C).
The weather is much the same as June with increasing rainfall, especially in the mornings, and the easterly breezes providing relief from the heat. Thunderstorms may begin appearing at night.
Weather in August
During August temperatures in Belize begin to change as drier winds from the west replace the easterly sea breezes.
August marks the “Little Dry”, as it is known, with a decrease in rainfall and rise in temperatures, which range from 86°F (30°C) highs to average lows of 78°F (26°C).
Overall average temperature for August is still a pleasant 82°F (28°C).
Weather in September
September temperatures in Belize average around 81°F (27°C), with highs of 86°F (30°C) and lows of 77°F (25°C).
There is increasing rainfall, especially in early mornings and at night, but most days are sunny with warm temperatures.
Weather in October
Northerly breezes bring heavier rainfall, and October temperatures in Belize cool down to a monthly average of 79°F (26°C).
Daytime highs of around 84°F (29°C) and lows of 75°F (24°C) are common, as are occasional “northers”, two or three day storms often centred around the Maya Mountains.
Weather in November
November temperatures in Belize are some of the lowest and most variable of the year, but the monthly average is still an enjoyable 76°F (24°C), with common daytime highs of 82°F (28°C) and evening lows of 73°F (23°C).
While this heralds in winter for the people of Belize visitors coming from northern climes find it quite warm and sunny.
Weather in December
December usually arrives wet and leaves drier as the wet season begins to wind down.
December temperatures in Belize fall to an average low of 71°F (22°C) with highs of 80°F (27°C) for a monthly average of around 75°F (24°C) – the perfect weather to enjoy a comfortable Christmas holiday, warm enough for swimming and with pleasantly cool evenings.
Curreny Belize Weather by town:
Current weather in San Ignacio:
Currenty weather in Belize City:
Current weather in Placencia, Belize:
Current weather on Ambergris Caye:
(of weather, a period, or an area) having or characterized by considerable rainfall.
‘a rainy afternoon’
- ‘The state government blamed cold and rainy weather for the programme's shortcomings.’
- ‘Poa bulbosa becomes dormant quite early in the growth season, well before the end of the rainy period.’
- ‘In south China, the weather is hot, rainy and wet, so cool foods are good for the health.’
- ‘Even on rainy days the large hall space allows for plenty of physical and fun activities.’
- ‘I'm in Houston and we got our first bit of cold, rainy winter weather this week.’
- ‘What better way to spend a rainy holiday summer afternoon in Salcombe or Lowestoft?’
- ‘In rainy periods, when few insects are flying, the birds switch to ground feeding.’
- ‘The collapse occurred in the heavy downpours that marked the last two rainy seasons.’
- ‘It's not a dinner-party dish, but it might be just what you want on a rainy weekend.’
- ‘My first trip was to Windermere and I remember that it was a miserable, rainy day but we still went out on the lake.’
- ‘I managed to get a short walk in between showers on what's been a mostly rainy day.’
- ‘The rate of infection has accelerated dramatically with the onset of the rainy season.’
- ‘Here, during the rainy season, rapid bubbling rivers flow along the bottoms of these chasms.’
- ‘In fact, the seed dispersal rate was notably higher when capsules dried after a rainy period.’
- ‘Carling will try to convince the consumer that it is as Scottish as heather and rainy summers.’
- ‘Umbrella sellers don't care what the annual rainfall is, they care how many rainy days there will be.’
- ‘The water in the jail is cold, and the weather has turned rainy so there is very little sun.’
- ‘The rainy weather definitely seems to have moved on as it is sunny this morning.’
- ‘There is something about rainy days that can make you feel strangely melancholic and happy at the same time.’
- ‘On rainy days, water cascading from the roof provides the area with a relaxing view.’