Learn how to search for dissertations in the ProQuest Dissertations and Theses database.
The ProQuest Dissertations and Theses database contains information about doctoral dissertations and master’s theses including: citations for dissertations beginning in 1861, abstracts for dissertations published from 1980 forward, and full-text from 1997 on. These dissertations and theses come from a world-wide variety of universities including Nova Southeastern University.
Let’s say I’d like to find a dissertation about the relationship between traffic stops and racial profiling. That means I want to find dissertations that have the key words traffic stops AND racial profiling.
I’ll start by typing “traffic stops” into the first search box. Notice that if I have a phrase with more than one word, I can use quotation marks to tell the database to keep these words next to each other when I search.
Now, I’ll move down to the next box and type “racial profiling.” I connect these two concepts with the word AND because I want dissertations that mention both of my concepts “traffic stops” AND “racial profiling.”
If you can think of any synonyms for your terms add them to the search box with the word OR. Using ORs will make your search broader, and you will get more results.
Consider checking off the doctoral dissertations box if you would like to view only doctoral dissertations. Then click search.
Once you have results, hover over the preview button to learn more about each dissertation or click on the Full text- PDF link to view the entire dissertation.
On the right you will see options to narrow down your results including by university and by publication date.
As an NSU student you may have the opportunity to submit your finished dissertation to the ProQuest Dissertations & Theses database. Please consult with your individual college for requirements.
Remember, if you have any questions, please ask a librarian for assistance.
ProQuest Dissertations and Theses — UK & Ireland (also known as Index to Theses):
The most comprehensive available record of doctoral theses from the United Kingdom and Ireland, now available on ProQuest.
Expanding ProQuest Dissertations and Theses Content Internationally
ProQuest Dissertations and Theses — UK & Ireland (PQDT — UK & Ireland) has been meticulously compiling citations to British and Irish dissertations and theses. The corpus of U.K. and Ireland dissertations and master’s theses in this product currently comprises over half a million records, with some additional 15,000 citations added annually.
The collection offers:
- The most comprehensive available listing of theses, with abstracts accepted for higher degrees by universities in the United Kingdom and Ireland, since 1716.
- Access to bibliographic coverage of theses produced by British and Irish universities.
- Bibliographic listings for content for 1950-1986.
- Abstracts for content since 1986.
Complete records, with the most comprehensive coverage
A growing number of open-access U.K. and Ireland theses are listed on institutional repositories, but they are only a small percentage of the total number of theses produced annually.
Unlike institutional repositories, PQDT — UK & Ireland does not rely on individual academics to upload their works, ensuring coverage from leading British universities. PQDT — UK & Ireland also offers consistent bibliographic standards across all records, and easy cross searching of all U.K. graduate works, as well as global coverage when combined with ProQuest Dissertations and Theses (PQDT).
Valued content that’s affordable and precise
The United Kingdom and Ireland boast many of the world’s leading research universities. Graduate works from British and Irish institutions have been frequently requested by ProQuest’s existing PQDT customers.
And because PQDT — UK & Ireland is on the ProQuest platform, other benefits include:
- No need for training: PQDT — UK & Ireland is as easy as using PQDT. Access this unique collection of dissertation records without having to learn how to navigate a new interface.
- Cross search with other ProQuest products for higher usage rates, with less library administration.
- Search PQDT — UK & Ireland records concurrently with PQDT to provide your library users with a complete view of English-language dissertations and theses.
- No more searching across multiple databases; it’s all in one place!
- No unique set up or software required.
Ask us about:
- Upgrade offers for PQDT – Full Text
- Digitization and archiving of your retrospective dissertations
- Special discounts on large orders or dissertation copy purchases